Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking Forward, Not Backward

Happy New Year folks! I thought I’d kick off the New Year by making a new post to my blog for the first time in…well, a while.

It seems to be traditional for people to do a review of the year gone by, but last year was a bit of a downer for me, so I’m not going to look back on it. Instead, I’m just going to look forward to the year ahead.

What are my plans for 2012? First of all, I intend for this year to be the year that I finally get a job. I’m also going to apply for work experience with the BBC in the near future, so hopefully something good will come out of that.

I’m also more determined than ever that I will finish a writing project, polish it up, and try to get it published. This has been my dream since my early teens, and I’m not about to give up on it now. I just need to decide which of my projects to go with for the start of this year, and I’m going to try outlining for once. Pantsing (or discovery writing, whichever term you prefer) clearly isn’t working out for me. I seem to work better when I have some kind of plan, so I’m going to try and come up with one and then get started writing.

Another couple of fun things I’m planning for this year. I’ll be running my Ashen Stars campaign for my friends David, Angela and Andrew over IRC, so hopefully that will go well. I’m also planning to run a one-shot game once every month, either at GUGS or the Glasgow Indie Gamers meets. I’ll be using a different system each month, as a way of giving some love to all the RP books I’ve collected over the years, but haven’t yet played.

Speaking of roleplaying, coming up in April are the 2012 Student Roleplaying Nationals in Cardiff, which I’m very excited about. I’m down for the Doctor Who category, so that should be fun. Depending on how the finances go, I might even dress for the occasion. Or I might only be able to manage my travel fare and spending money. We’ll see how things go.

Last but not least, I’m going to try and blog a bit more regularly this year than I did last year. I was stressing over attempting another ‘reboot’ of this blog, as I had done last year. However, after giving it a bit more thought, I’ve decided not to worry too much about actually scheduling regular blog content at this point. I’m not a pro writer yet, or a pro blogger for that matter, and I think one of the reasons I dropped off of Tumblr last year - aside from all the personal stuff that was going on back then - is that I’ve been taking this blog a bit too seriously.

So I’m just going to try and take it easy, and just blog when I have something interesting to say or to share with you all, instead of actually trying to force myself to come up with interesting content according to some strictly kept schedule.

Anyway, those are my plans for the New Year. I hope you’re all well, and wish you all the best for 2012. Let’s all have a great year this time round!

See you later, folks!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah last year was a downer for me too,but hopefully this year is going to be better:) I hope all of your resolutions for this year will be accomplished,happy new year!

    ReplyDelete