Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Accept Your "23 in '13" Challenge, John Anealio!


I'm arriving a bit late to the party here, but in an attempt to boost my creative productivity - and because I too was bitterly disappointed about how little I achieved in 2012, and also because I think it might be fun - I've decided to sign myself up for John Anealio's "23 in '13 Challenge". You can find out more information about the challenge on his blog if you're interested, but the basic idea is to create 23 creative works over the course of 2013. The way it's worded on John's blog, it's 23 projects of one type (e.g. 23 songs, 23 short stories, etc) but John encourages people to adapt it whatever way they like, and I know at least one of the people who have decided to join in the action has decided to mix things up by completing 23 different types of project throughout the year, so I'm going to do something much the same. This is in addition to my Goodreads 2013 Reading Challenge and the A to Z Reading Challenge, so hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

Anyway, my current plan is to complete ten short stories, twelve RPG mini-supplements (e.g. playsets for Fiasco, playbooks for D. Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World and/or its various hacks, Transmissions for Jeremy Keller's Technoir and so on and so forth), and finally complete either a NaNoWriMo or NaGaDeMon project during November. I haven't locked these projects in as dead certs right now, though I do have at least six ideas for Fiasco playsets, and six rough ideas for playbooks for Mike Sands' AW-hack Monster of the Week. I've also been toying with the idea of doing an AW/MotW hack based on giant robot vs. mecha genre in the vein of Neon Genesis Evangelion or the upcoming Guilmero Del Toro blockbuster, Pacific Rim, so that's a candidate I might put forward as a NaGaDeMon project. Or I might just attempt another fictional novel project for NaNo this year. We'll see what I'm in the mood for come November. Churning out ten short stories by the end of the year means I'll need to be writing and revising roughly two short stories per month between now and December 31st, discounting the month of November as that will be reserved for working on my NaNoWriMo or NaGaDeMon project.

Anyway, as of right now I have 23 creative projects to complete by the end of the year, and just over seven months to be getting on with it. Wish me luck! This is Rob, signing off until next time!

1 comment: