Sunday, June 9, 2013

The 'June 2013 Plan' - Week One in Review


I'll be honest, I haven't got off a great start this month. I had a whole long post written about why I didn't hit my goals this week, but it just felt like making excuses, so I'm not going to post that. Instead, I'm just going to reset my goals for the coming week and commit myself to getting them done this time.

Despite not hitting my goals for this week, I have discovered a few things about what works and what doesn't for me as a writer/creator. First off, because I need to keep my timetable flexible in case of impromptu appointments with the jobcentre, work programme advisors, job interviews and the like, having a fixed timetable for getting creative projects isn't really a viable way of handling projects. So I need something a bit more flexible than the traditional timetable. So I'm going to make more use of my phone's pomodoro timer and the Pomodoro technique than I have in the past; setting myself so many 25 minute blocks of time per project per day, and then just working for those blocks of time when I'm able to do so at home.

I will also be preparing a schedule of regular content for the blog to begin early-to-mid July, which gives me time to write up a bunch of posts as a buffer. One topic I'm considering writing a series on in the near future is Creative Barriers. I figure if I look at all of the reasons I come up with for putting off writing (distractions, guilt, self-doubt, and so on and so forth) I'll be able to confront those issues and address just why I shouldn't be letting them stop me from doing what I want to do.

Goals for Week Two

1st draft of 'The Writer' Playbook for Monster of the Week - Sunday 17:00 GMT.
Zero draft of 'Sanctioned' short story - Sunday 17:00 GMT.
Mountain Witch AP Report - Post by Tuesday 18:00 GMT.
Legend of the Five Rings: Sins of the Fathers Recap - Post by Friday 18:00 GMT.

Until next time, be excellent to each other, work hard and play hard. See you later, folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment