Friday, November 1, 2013

[NaNoWriMo] The Plan (such as it is)

Hi folks. I have good news and I have bad news.

You may have noticed that the regularity of my blog posts has dropped again recently. Part of that is because I've been focusing - or trying to focus - on getting prep done for my DWAiTAS campaign. The other part is that I've been working on outlining for my NaNoWriMo project. And that's on top of other stuff that I have to do as part of day-to-day life. My blogging will most likely remain at this reduced level as we move forward into November. I'll try and merge my geekly weekly reports with weekly progress reports on how I'm getting on with NaNo. I'll also try and keep posting GM reports about the DWAiTAS campaign as it continues. But a lot of my scheduled (and unscheduled) writing time for the month of November will be dedicated to reaching the 50,000 word goal by the end of the month, so I'm going to be a bit more of an internet hermit for a while. So, the bad news is I won't be posting a lot this month.

The good news is that I'm more excited about getting started with NaNoWriMo than I have been in the past couple of years, and a large part of that is down to the fact that I actually - GASP! - have a plan for it. Well, sort of. At the time I'm writing this (Monday afternoon) I've only managed to outline for about the first four days worth of writing so far, but I'm feeling psyched about writing the scenes that I have planned out already, and I'm sure more scenes will snowball forth from imagination as I forge onward with the writing.

As I mentioned earlier last month, I've decided to set aside my issues with writing fanfiction to get some work done on the Doctor Who/Evangelion crossover story that's been nagging away at the back of my brain for years now. I wrote 'episode 1' of the fanfic as my NaNoWriMo story back in 2010 and that got me to 50,000 words just on its own. So, for NaNo 2013, I'm going to work on writing episodes 2 through 13 of my DW/Eva 'season'. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the individual episodes much shorter this time (as it is, episode 1 needs significant editing to shorten it down a bit) and I'll be able to get through at least two or three more episodes before NaNo ends. With any luck, that'll get me to the 50k word target at least, but I'm hoping for much more.

Beyond my decision to work on the fanfic for NaNo, I've also been planning ahead by writing a scene-by-scene outline, with word count estimates for each scene, organised into days of the month. I also plan to do a writing binge today, using the '7500 word one-day catchup' method mentioned by many times NaNo winner Simon Haynes on his website. That should give me a decent buffer to fall back on over the weeks to come. My daily word count target will be 1700 words, which is a little more than the official NaNo daily target, but it's a bit more of a round number than 1667. I'll also aim to have weekly 'word binge' days, with a target of at least 4000 words and an upper limit of 5000 words. I know that sounds like a tall order, and it probably will be, but even if this plan doesn't work in practice, I'm sure I'll find some other method that works better.

This year, in addition to having more of an idea what I'm going to write ahead of time, I've also made something of a wager on my successful completion of NaNoWriMo. I'm going to get a copy of Pandemic 2nd Edition at the start of month and leave it in the care of a trusted friend. If I successfully hit the 50k mark before December 1st, I will get it back. If I don't, it will instead be donated to Glasgow University Gaming Society for their games locker. Now, I don't begrudge GUGS having the game for their collection, but I kinda want it for myself so I can play it with my friends down on the Clyde coast. So I'm gonna work hard to win this year, so I'll be able to share this incredibly fun game with them.

As this post appears on my blog, November will have already started and I'll either be burning the midnight oil trying to get some words down before I head to bed, or I'll have gone to bed already so I can wake up bright and early in the morning to get started writing. One way or another, I'll be working hard to make sure that I get a good head start. Because this year, I'M GONNA WIN!

Wish me luck everybody (yes, even the GUGS members who are coveting that Pandemic box already), and I'll be back with a progress report soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment