Saturday, December 7, 2013

[Geekly Weekly Report] Evil Captain Jack, Hannibal season one finale and other stuff...

It's Saturday once again, and that means it's time to do a quick recap of what geeky stuff I've been up to this past week.

Swag
I bought The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss since I've heard about it from a few different people and - while I'm pretty sure I won't be able to complete my A-Z Reading Challenge before the end of the year - it starts with an N, so it can go on my A-Z reading list. It was also on a Kindle sale for £1.49, so why not, eh?

I also downloaded the track 'What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World' from Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to Man of Steel. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, but I heard this song in the trailers, and it was pretty epic. So I decided to just download it, since it was only 99p.

Achievements Unlocked
Last Saturday I finally got round to running my playtest of Mike Sands' pre-written scenario 'The Meddling Kids in...Too Many Draculas' for Monster of the Week.
I feel like I could have benefited from organising the notes so that I could reference different NPCs and locations more easily, and the multiple Draculas did get to be a bit of a handful, but I managed to wrap up the session and the players all seemed to enjoy it, so I'll call that a win.

On Tuesday, I ran the first part of the season one finale of my Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space campaign, 'The Exiles of Time'. We said goodbye (for now) to Aru, as her player needed to leave the campaign, and hello to two new characters: a time agent called Howard Phillips, and the Temporal Security Agency's catkind CMO, Sister Ian. The Exiles learned a bit more about what's going on (the Doctor has been taken out of time and the universe is broken because of it), responded to a distress call from a research station on the event horizon of a black hole which seems to have something emerging from it, encountered an evil Captain Jack Harkness who bleeds silver, and finally ended up chasing him to the other side of the event horizon on board a ship that Anith identifies as the flagship of her homeworld, which is supposed to have been destroyed. The session ended with them facing an A'Kraithan Imperial Guard patrol prepared to blast them into oblivion.

After that, we played three back-to-back games of The Resistance. I was a loyal resistance member in the first two, but a spy in the third. During the second game, I had staked my non-existent Doctor Who DVD collection (yeah, I know, shock horror, I need to fix that one of these days) on my being loyal. This set up what should have been a perfect bluff for the third game, where I again staked the DVD collection on my loyalty, thus convincing the resistance players that I was loyal. And it would have worked if Heather hadn't played her success card face up during the third mission, leading Luke to do the same. As I was a spy, I couldn't afford to let this mission succeed. So I was forced to play my fail card face up, since the players would know anyway. Which screwed things over for me and my fellow spy, Maggie, since I had earlier implicated Alex as a spy when I got the opportunity to look at his loyalty card. Once they knew I was a spy, they knew I had to be lying about Alex, so suspicion fell on Maggie and we lost. Which sucked, because that would have been the perfect mindscrew for everyone if I had gotten away with it. And for once, I found I actually enjoyed being the spy, up until the point where all my machinations fell apart.

Sadly, since Tuesday I've been feeling a bit under the weather, but I did manage to finish off Hannibal season one in a marathon viewing session on Thursday night. I love the cinematography on the show, and I enjoy surreal dream/hallucination sequences, which the latter half of Hannibal season one has in boatloads. The latter half of the season is also an emotional rollercoaster, as you're forced to watch Wil Graham's sense of reality slowly eroded away, and the finale was a real kick in the nuts which left me cursing Bryan Fuller's name, and wishing season two was out already.

As I'm writing this, it's Friday evening and I'm still not feeling 100%. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by the time this goes online, and I'll be on my way to GUGS for the Christmas party. There's gonna be RPGs and co-operative board games, party games and all that jazz. Should be fun, just as long as I'm in a fit state to go.

Anyway, see you later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment