Thursday, December 12, 2013

I'm 30 Years Old Today, Yay!

I wasn't sure what I was going to blog about today, until it occurred to me that it's my 30th birthday and I should probably do a shout-out about that or something.

Thirty years, yay me! I hadn't really thought much of it until today, and when I did it hit me a bit like a punch in the gut. I thought back on the last fifteen years of my life and felt a twinge of despair that...well, I don't know where I expected to be by now, but it certainly wasn't where I am right now. But then I told myself that it's no good looking back in regret; better to think ahead to the next five to ten years.

Let's start with what I'm not going to do. I'm not going to let growing older stop me from enjoying the things that I enjoy doing. Too often, geeks like me are told that they are too old for the sort of things they're interested in. Like playing board games, video games, roleplaying games, watching anime (or 'cartoons' as some are wont to call them), and so on and so forth. But, to quote Doctor Who, there's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. We're only as old as we feel on the inside, and I intend to stay young at heart for as long as I can manage.

As for where I want to go from here, well, ideally I'll have got myself a job within the next couple of years. I'm going to need to come up with a new action plan for how I'm going to find work, because what I'm doing at the moment clearly isn't working. People can keep telling me that it's not me, it's the state of the country right now, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try changing things up a bit on my end.

On the writing side of things, I want to have got something published within the next five years, maybe a couple of somethings. By the time I'm forty, I hope to have multiple works published. After NaNoWriMo this year, I know that writing is still something I enjoy doing, I just need to give myself permission both to do it and to suck while writing the first draft. Like so many amateur writers I worry too much about getting things perfect on the first draft, and never finish anything as a result. I just need to loosen up a bit more and let the words flow.

I haven't put together a proper five/ten year plan yet, but hitting the 30-year milestone has encouraged me to sit down sometime soon and work one out. But for now, I have cake, we'll be ordering chinese food for dinner (mum's treat), and I'll just take it easy for tonight.

See you later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment