Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Things I'm Looking Forward To In 2014

With the year almost over, it would usually be time to reflect on what has happened in 2013, but I'm trying not to dwell on the past because it tends to get me depressed. Instead, I'm going to spend this entire week looking ahead to 2014, starting with what stuff I'm looking forward to that's coming out next year.

1. Doctor Who: Series 8
We'll have a while to wait for this - it's not expected to air until August or September - but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's looking forward to seeing how Peter Capaldi fares in his first season as the Doctor. Also, for the first time since McCoy we get a Doctor with a Scottish accent. Yay!

2. Sherlock: Series 3
How long have we been waiting for a new series of Sherlock? Too bloody long. I'll probably have to watch the first episode on iPlayer on Thursday or Friday, since I'll be at a New Years party and won't be able to get home again until the 2nd, but I'm looking forward to finding out how Sherlock faked his death. Also, Watson has a moustache now, like in the original stories. Nice touch.

3. Hannibal: Season Two
I marathoned the first season in two big chunks, but I'll probably try and pace myself a bit more this year. As much as I love dark crime drama, too much at once puts me in a downer mood. And speaking of downers, last season's cliffhanger...augh! I can't wait to find out what happens next.

4. Marvel movies
We've got two more Marvel movies coming out this year, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. The trailer for Winter Soldier looks awesome, so I'm definitely looking forward to that. As for Guardians, I'm not too familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy comics, but I'm interested in seeing ex-Doctor Who companion Karen Gillan playing a villain in it.

5. Firefly RPG
Margaret Weis Productions already released the Serenity Role Playing Game, but that was based more on the film than the series. Now they're releasing the Firefly RPG, which is licenced by Fox rather than Universal, and is more closely based on the series itself. It also uses the Cortex Plus system, which is a lot different from the original Cortex system that the first game used. It's got a lot in common with Fate, with characters having Distinctions which they can tag for an extra dice to roll, or to give the GM something to exploit in exchange for plot points. I know, I know, I've got enough RPGs as it is - and I still haven't played a lot of them - but this is one RPG I definitely want to get when it comes out. I may even pre-order, budget allowing.

6. Timewatch RPG
I mentioned this before in a previous post, but Timewatch is the latest in the Gumshoe family of RPGs from Pelgrane Press, and they'll soon be going live with their Kickstarter. I'll be backing it to at least the level where I can get the PDF and physical copy when it's released. Depending on what other rewards they have (and how much cash I can actually spare) I may go higher.

7. Skin Game by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files #15)
I'm a big Harry Dresden fan, and after where the last book left things, I'm looking forward to seeing how Harry deals with the new status quo. One things for sure, it's gonna be awk-waaaaard.

8. The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross (Laundry Files #5)
The title hasn't been finalised yet, and the release date is still tentative, but the next Laundry Files book should be out at least some time this year. Without spoiling things too much for new readers of the series, Bob's circumstances changed at the end of The Apocalypse Codex, and it'll be interesting to see where that takes him in the next book.

9. Interstellar
Not much detail about this movie yet, except that it involves the discovery of a wormhole and a scientific expedition through it. Still, I haven't seen a Christopher Nolan film yet (with the possible exception of Insomnia) that I haven't loved, so I'll definitely be going to see this when it comes out.

10. Student Nationals 2014
Each year, a different university hosts the National Student Roleplaying and Wargaming Championships, otherwise known as the Student Nationals. Gaming societies from universities across the country attend and compete to win each year. It's basically like a gaming convention, with a competitive element to it. I used to attend yearly when I was still in uni, but since graduating I've dialed back my attendance to once every two years or so. I'm hoping I'll be able to make it there again this year, and it should be a lot of fun.

Honourable Mentions
The Hobbit: There And Back Again
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1
Since I haven't seen The Desolation of Smaug or Catching Fire yet, I feel that looking forward to the next installments in both movie series is getting a little bit ahead of myself. Still, once I've got round to watching those, I'll probably be looking forward to the sequels. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment