Friday, January 3, 2014

Creative Goals for 2014

Last, but definitely not least in my series about my hopes for 2014, here is a list of the stuff I want to do as a writer and roleplayer in the year ahead.

1. Finish a novel or two.
I'll be starting work on writing my first novel of the year very soon. I'm hoping I'll be able to complete it within three months, and then do another one later in the year.

2. Write and finish some short stories.
In between novels, I'd like to try and get some short stories and/or flash fiction written as well. I've got one or two ideas I'd like to pick up from last year, and I'll probably have more by the time those are finished.

3. Finish the first half of my Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfiction project.
I'll be working on this mostly during Camp NaNoWriMo in April and July, and at this stage it's going to be a bit out of date since it features the Eleventh Doctor, but my hope is that I'll be able to finish, edit, and start posting the first half of my crossover fanfic 'season' by autumn. Just in time for the new series.

4. Write up some shareable RPG content.
I want to write up some RPG scenarios that other GMs can download in PDF form and use for their games. I'll be doing this for Ashen Stars and Kuro to begin with, but we'll see if I decide to do anything beyond those. I also want to put together a playset for Fiasco called Kaiju Defence Force, create some character playbooks for Monster of the Week (the Magical Girl, the Teen Detective, the Tomb Raider and the Writer) and a Neo-Tokyo transmission for Technoir.

5. Create a couple of Gumshoe RPG books.
Now that the Gumshoe RPG's SRD is online, I want to use it for a couple of projects. First, I want to put together a S.H.I.E.L.D. based fan-hack. This is partly as a test run to figure out how to design my own game around the Gumshoe RPG, and also because I think S.H.I.E.L.D. is a pretty good fit for Gumshoe and vice versa. Obviously, I won't be able to sell it or anything, but I can play with friends and maybe make it available for free online.
Assuming that goes well, I might take a crack at creating a Gumshoe RPG from scratch. I still need to really brainstorm the setting, but I'm going to be drawing some inspiration from Inception for it. Except, instead of being the ones committing the mind crime, players would be investigating it.

And that sums up my plans for 2014. I'm looking forward to getting to work on these projects, and hopefully I'll manage to accomplish most (if not all) of them. I'll see if I can track progress throughout the year on a separate page on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment