Sunday, June 22, 2014

[Weekly Geeky Report] Dresden Files, Fringe and other stuff...

Swag
Spending money that I probably shouldn't have, I bought and downloaded the Heroine RPG by Josh Jordan. A while ago I'd picked up the Heroine of Heiankyo setting supplement for the game by Andy Kitkowski (who Kickstarted the English translation of Tenra Bansho Zero) for free on DriveThruRPG. So I finally decided my interest was piqued enough, and bought the main game. I'll post a review of both Heroine and Heroine of Heiankyo when I've had the opportunity to try them out.

I also took advantage of the Pay What You Want option on the Venture City Stories setting supplement for Fate Core. Unfortunately, what I could pay wasn't very much, but I'll try and compensate for that again by posting a review when I've read it and put it to use in a game.

Achievements Unlocked
We had another session of Timewatch: Team Indigo on Sunday, which ended on a cliffhanger. Apparently Jae is basing this scenario off of an Ashen Stars prewritten adventure, and if that's the case I might be able to guess what adventure that is. I suspect it's The Pleasure Bringers, which I recall skimming in the Dead Rock Seven preview I got when I pre-ordered Ashen Stars way back when. I don't recall the specific details of the scenario though, and I'll avoid reading over the copy I got in the pre-order package until we've completed it.

My usual group of players wasn't at Tuesday GUGS this week, and I wanted to catch up on some writing, so I showed up long enough to see if there was anything happening that I should stick around for, and then went home.

On Thursday, we had our eighth 'episode' of our Tears Of A Machine campaign, Tales of the Arx Jericho. Was supposed to be a beach vacation episode, but we got side-tracked with snooping around Dr Johnson's office, having grown suspicious of him since last session. We did eventually get to the beach though, and there was some surfing and volleyball. Full details will be posted in an AP report on Saturday, or you can check out the video from the Hangouts On Air session on Youtube if you can't wait for details.

I'm about halfway through Fringe season three, and so far I'm still enjoying it. I don't want to say too much about it, in case I spoil things for those yet to watch, but I did really like the switching viewpoints they used in the first eight episodes, and was a bit sad when they stopped doing it. That said, I get why they stopped switching at that point, because the reason behind it was resolved. That'll probably make sense if you've seen the series. Probably.

I'm about 70% finished reading Skin Game by Jim Butcher, and I'm loving the heist plot that he's gone with for this book. At this point, I've yet to learn why it's titled 'Skin Game' but I do have a couple of theories, neither of which will be fun for Harry if they prove true. I'm hoping it's something else, because after everything he's been through in the last three books, Harry deserves a break. Plus, it's probably about time to relieve some of the tension in the series before putting on the pressure for the finale, since Butcher has planned for '23ish' books in the series, and we're on book 15 now. So that's roughly five books to go until he kicks off the endgame. Okay, maybe he can squeeze a little more angst out before relieving the tension a bit. Just a bit.

Works In Progress
I completed 'Episode 1, Part One' of my Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfic and have given the document to Luke, one of my DWAiTAS players, for beta reading. I'm going to need to try and get the next three parts of the episode done over the coming week, so that it's out of the way before Camp NaNoWriMo starts.

Once again, I haven't done much prep work for roleplaying purposes, although I did put together a set of GM screen inserts for the Timewatch RPG. They're not the best, but they'll do the job until the inserts promised as stretch goals in the Kickstarter become available.

And that's about it for now. My plans for the week ahead are:
- Prepare myself for the job interview I've got on Tuesday.
- Prepare some kind of one-shot for Tuesday night GUGS.
- Plot stuff for Camp NaNoWriMo.
- Finish off 'Episode 1' of the Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfic.
- (Maybe) write a flash fic for Friday.

See you later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment