Sunday, June 15, 2014

[Weekly Geeky Report] Joss Whedon, Grimm Season 2 and other stuff...

Swag
Taking advantage of £5 from a lottery scratchcard, I bought myself the Kindle edition of Skin Game by Jim Butcher. I won't get round to reading it until I've finished Altered Carbon, but I'm just about done with that.

Also, although it'll probably be a while until I see the finished product, I backed the Primetime Adventures 3rd edition Kickstarter to the Print + PDF level.

Achievements Unlocked
On Tuesday I played a session of Our Last Best Hope with the remains of my Doctor Who group, which had to be cut short - since we started late and it's always slower to play with first-time players - but we would probably have beaten the Crisis in the end, having accumulated enough white dice through a couple of character deaths and story point expenditures to purchase some white sixes. We played the Space mission and used the 'alien derelict on a collision course with Earth' as our Crisis. We had just evacuated our crashing ship and boarded the derelict when we had to stop. Still, everyone seemed to enjoy the game, and that's what really counts.

I finished re-watching Firefly, and something I never noticed in my previous viewings was how several of the episodes flow naturally into one another, such as 'Shindig' and the following episode, 'Safe'. The episode ends with Serenity taking on a cargo, and the next episode deals with them getting rid of that cargo. Instead of it simply being assumed that they sold the goods between episodes, it's used as a starting point for the next episode's story. It's a small thing, but it's rare to see that sense of continuity between episodes in shows of this kind. It's not like Star Trek where an unspecified amount of time passes between episodes, and the events of previous episodes are scarcely mentioned. In Firefly, we see the follow-up from the story we just finished and it has a part in what comes next.

I followed up Firefly by watching Serenity on NetFlix and found myself getting a bit emotional at certain scenes, again. Without getting too spoilery (though if you haven't already watched the series and the movie...really, you should) the scenes include Harvest, Miranda and Mal's 'Aim to misbehave' speech, a leaf on the wind and the end. Right after that, I was in the mood for some more Whedon, so I found The Avengers and re-watched it as well. Didn't tug on my heartstrings quite so much, but it was still a fun ride,

I also finished off season two of Grimm and, while I had my doubts about the show during season one, those have all but vanished after this season. There was a lot more movement on the main arc in this series, and they even shook up the status quo a bit, which is always good, stops things from getting stale. Of course, like so many shows these days, they had to end the season with a cliffhanger. Still, at least it actually felt like a end of season cliffhanger this time. A bit cheeky of them to add the words 'Oh come on, you knew this was coming' right after 'To be continued...', but I do like their style for doing so.

And then, yesterday, I played in a Harry Potter one-shot using a homebrew system similar to World of Darkness. I was a Gryffindor teen detective type, and spent much of the session attempting to thwart (or turnaround) the antics of a Ravenclaw player character who was playing nasty pranks on everyone during a field trip to the land of the Selkies. And then, as we were heading to the underwater city - with the aid of water-breathing potions - we got attacked by a giant squid/octopus monster. After it was softened it up a little by a barrage of spells, the Ravenclaw jerk trapped it in an air bubble and caused it to choke from lack of water to breath. Nasty, but effective.

Works In Progress
Still working on the Doctor Who/Evangelion fic. Almost got Episode 1, Part 1 done. I'm going to need to pick up the pace if I'm going to have it finished before Camp NaNoWriMo starts in July. I also still need to plan what I'm going to write for Camp NaNo. And I'd like to get a couple of flash fics done before this month is over. I'm going to aim to do Chuck Wendig's flash fiction challenge for this week, and work on the 'Neon Sniper Gnome' prompt from Writing Excuses #8.41.

Not done a lot on the RP prep side of things this week, but I'll get around to it soon enough.

That's all for now, I should have more posts to blog over the coming week. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment