Friday, June 27, 2014

[Writer's Musings] Camp NaNoWriMo: The 2nd Attempt

I attempted Camp NaNoWriMo earlier this year, in May, and didn't make it past the first week. I guess there's just something about Camp NaNoWriMo that makes it harder for me to invest in than with the main NaNoWriMo event. All the same, I'm going to give it another try in July. This time I'm going to use it to make some headway on the redraft of my Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfiction. I decided to do that rather than an original fiction project because, right now, I'm struggling to come up with outlines that I'm happy with for any of the original fiction projects I've got in mind. So, I'm just going to work on fanfic for the next month and hope the practice I get from that builds up my creative juices and eventually inspiration will strike.

In addition to signing up for Camp NaNoWriMo, I've also signed up for the 750 Words One Month Challenge for July, in which participants must write at least 750 Words in their account every day. When signing up for the monthly challenges, participants can design their own rewards for completing the challenge and consequences for failing it. I haven't decided what mine should be yet, but I thought maybe I'd make the Firefly RPG my reward. I was going to pre-order it and get the complimentary PDF as soon as I had the cash to spare, but I think I might hold off on that until the end of July as my reward. Other options I considered were the Fringe season five boxset - since I'm almost finished watching season four on NetFlix - or I might back Storium for $20 and get on the beta for that, as well as secure myself a year's subscription once it goes live.

Anyhow, if I'm writing at least 750 words on the fanfic per day, I should at least have the first 'episode' finished in time for posting on Fanfiction.net in August. And while I'm working on that, I'll also try and brainstorm some ideas for the big, three month long original writing project I want to get started on in August. Maybe I'll attempt The 90 Day Novel technique again, since that basically takes three months to work on.

In any case, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to complete Camp NaNo this time around, so wish me luck.

See you later, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment