Monday, August 25, 2014

[#RPGaDay] Catch Up: Days 23 to 25

I've been a bit preoccupied over the weekend, so I haven't had the chance to write these up until now, but better late than never...

23. Coolest Looking RPG Product/Book: All Rolled Up
I found out about these guys through the Nearly Enough Dice podcast, and after checking out the website I really want to pick up one of their creations at some point.

All Rolled Up is a husband and wife company which produces handcrafted game rolls. These All Rolled Ups (or ARUs for short) function not only as dice bags, but can be used to carry stationary, index cards, counters and any other gaming accessories you can fit into it along with your dice.

They come in a variety of different designs and there are different types of ARU - from the standard versions, to deluxe ones with chalk cloth panels you can use to sketch quick maps/diagrams/initiative orders on with chalk or dry erase markers, to the more compact Tiny ARUs (or TARUs).

At the moment, I've got my eye on the Orbital Trajectory premium ARU, which has a cool star chart style design to it. Might be quite fitting if I end up running either Firefly or Traveller as my campaign this year as well. Just need to wait until I can afford it. (Also, I promised myself I'd buy an ARU if I completed the 750 Words Monthly Challenge for August, but I missed a day yesterday, so I'll make it my reward for next month's challenge instead.

24. Most Complicated RPG Owned: Wild Talents (One Roll Engine)
I might be wrong about this, having not read the book in depth since I bought it and never played it yet, but at first glance the One Roll Engine is a bit of a head-scratcher. The system is designed with the intent of boiling down a bunch of different variables (initiative, hit location, damage, etc) to a single roll.

Sounds like it should be simpler, not complicated, but in reading the book there's talk about the 'width' and 'height' of a roll, wiggle dice, hard dice and it sounds like interpreting this one roll could be a bit more complex. Like I said though, I'll need to give the book a proper read and actually try out the system before I can properly judge how complicated it actually is in practice.

25. Favourite RPG No One Else Wants To Play
25. RPG I Want To Try But Can't Find A GM For: Dread
Ever since I heard about this game I've wanted to give it a go, but the only person who's shown any interest in running it couldn't run it because he had lost his Jenga tower. That's right, this game uses a Jenga tower for its resolution mechanic.

Dread is a horror RPG where characters are created by filling out questionnaires for the role that you are playing as. Whenever your character tries to do something challenging in the game, they have to pull one or more blocks from the Jenga tower. If you pull successfully, you succeed in your action. If you fail and knock over the tower, then your character dies (or is marked for death, if it doesn't make narrative sense for them to die yet, and can no longer pull blocks to attempt an action).

This mechanic sounds like a really good way of creating suspense at the table, emulating the tension the characters would be feeling as they face the horrific situation they are in. Maybe only suitable for one-shot play, but it sounds like a fun game to try out all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment