Tuesday, August 19, 2014

[#RPGaDay] Day 19: Published Adventure(s) I Would Like To Run: Bucking The Tiger/Secrets of the Ancients

Published adventures aren't normally my thing, so I actually don't actually have a 'favourite' one yet. However, there are a couple I found recently that I'm actually considering running, so I figured I'd mention them.
First off is the Firefly RPG Echoes of War scenario, Bucking the Tiger. It's looking like a pretty classic whodunit murder mystery, and I love how it parodies westerns in a game based on a show which is basically a space western. There's also the high stakes card game angle; I don't know why, but I always love it when part of the plot revolves around the protagonists getting involved in gambling card games. Maybe because of the head games that result. On a sidenote, I like the way the scenario is structured too. It uses a TV-style four act structure, and each Act has a suggested encounter and a number of different suggestions for how the PCs might deal with it.
The second one is actually a full-length campaign for Mongoose Traveller called Secrets of the Ancients. It too starts out as a traditional whodunit, but progresses over the course of ten adventures to an epic space adventure. I love stories involving ancient precursor civilisations and this campaign is all about the Ancients (precursor race of the Official Traveller Universe) and a galactic conspiracy surrounding their secret history. It looks like it could be a lot of fun, my only issue so far is that it is a bit on the railroady side, assuming the party are going to approach things a certain way and at certain points making it so that there is no other way for the plot to progress.
I don't have a favourite from those two yet (having not actually run them yet), but they're the first published adventures I've bothered to pick up with the intention to run at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment