Friday, August 1, 2014

[Weekly Geeky Report] Sidonia, Guardians and other stuff...

Swag
Still short on cash, so I haven't really picked up anything new yet. I did complete the 750 Words Monthly Challenge for July though, and I promised I'd treat myself to pre-ordering the new Firefly RPG if I succeeded in that. So, as soon as I have the cash to spare, I'll pre-order that.

Acheivements Unlocked
This has mostly been a quiet week for me. I started listening to the audiobook of The Martian by Andy Weir, but I picked bad times for it and kept getting distracted by other things. I'm going start over this week and hopefully have it finished after a couple of weeks. What little I heard and was paying attention to, though, did sound pretty good.

I finished watching Knights of Sidonia and loved the series so much that I decided to rewatch it, this time with the English dub on. To my pleasant surprise, the dub isn't horrible. It's not the greatest dub ever, but it's decent enough. I was also amused to hear Spike Spencer (best known as the dub actor for Shinji Ikari) playing the voice of Tsuruuchi - the big-nosed, lewd-humoured Garde pilot - which is a change from the angsty characters he was pigeon-holed for after Evangelion. I know he's been broken out of that mould for a while now, but this is the first character (aside from a brief stint as crazy henchman Little Boy in Spriggan) I've seen that wasn't notably Shinji-esque. I'll hopefully get around to posting a full review of Knights of Sidonia's first season tomorrow, or sometime later in the week.

Over on Storium, The Dreamer's Curse, an HP Lovecraft/Puella Magi Madoka Magika influenced game I signed up as got off to a great start, with our cast of three magical girls (called Awakened) and two potentials (Sleepers) crossing paths inside a Shade's Labyrinth, with Shades being this setting's answer to Witches from PMMM. My teen detective and the other sleeper have both managed to survive the experience, and we're now demanding answers of the magical girls who came to our rescue. Particularly my character, since that's her thing.

Meanwhile, the Redshirts: The Narrative Strikes Again Storium game is moving towards a conclusion of the current 'episode'. Our characters are trying to resist an insanity-inducing virus until the ship's medical team can get them a cure, some have already succumbed to the madness while others (such as my engineer, who just busted his hand while punching a desk to keep himself centred) are teetering on the brink. In the Mass Effect game, we've just arrived on Omega and been boarded for 'inspection' by Eclipse mercs looking to exact a toll for our safe passage aboard the station. We did not take kindly to this and, despite our captain's warnings to stay calm and allow the inspection, a fight may be about to ensue. The Pacific Rim game is still in a kind of pause while we write out various teambuilding mini-scenes in Google docs.

On Thursday night, I played Viewscream, along with Mike (of Nearly Enough Dice), Misha (GM for Tears of a Machine: Tales of the Arx Jericho), and James (Dariya from the Timewatch: Team Indigo campaign). We played the first adventure from the book, 'Black Widow, Brown Recluse'. I played as Bridge, Mike played Engineering, Misha played as Medical and James played as Weapons. Despite technical difficulties which meant we had to abandon recording it as a Hangout On Air, we had a lot of fun with it. Misha got to roleplay freaking out as Medical got high by attaching alien bugs to his body, and there was much paranoia and pointing of fingers, but not a soul suspected that the true culprit was in fact Bridge (I was waiting for a cue from Weapons, but Jason had been busy painting all day, so he hadn't got to read over his background properly). Mwahahahaha...uh, I mean... "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry..."

Yesterday a bunch of us from GUGS went to see Guardians of the Galaxy at the Cineworld in Glasgow. It was pretty awesome, though that post-credit sequence was a bit of a letdown for me. Gave me a bad 80s movie flashback. I might post a review later in the week, after I've had time to think back and analyse a bit.

After the movie, I rushed home and had a quick dinner before joining Misha, Alex and David for the season finale of Tales of the Arx Jericho. I'll review the Hangout On Air recording and should be able to post a full AP on the 11th. In the meantime, if you want to watch the Hangout On Air recording, you can find it over on Youtube. To summarise though, we had our first aerial battle, Rick (my character) finally got to pilot the Prophet-class SAInt, then there was a breakdown in communications, followed by chaos and a cliffhanger which means our season finale is going to be a two-parter. We're not sure yet when we'll be able to do the second part, but it's looking to be an exciting conclusion to our first season.

Works In Progress
Still haven't quite finished the outline for Doctor Who/Evangelion episode 1.02, and I didn't have much chance to work on some flash fic either, but I got some of the outline done at least.

I've started putting together the Doctor Who: The SOS Files game over on Storium, but it's going to be a while yet before I'm ready to go live with it.

For the week ahead, I'll be working on finishing the Doctor Who/Evangelion 1.02 outline by Friday. I'm also going to start brainstorming ideas for an original novel project to start working on by the start of next month, at the latest. Once again, I might do some flash fic, but no promises on that.

I'll also continue work on building the Doctor Who: The SOS Files game for Storium and, depending on whether I get to pre-order the Firefly RPG this week, I might start prepping a one-shot for that to run at GUGS for fresher's week.

That's all for now, I should be back tomorrow with my review for Knights of Sidonia: Season 1. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment