Wednesday, October 1, 2014

[The Plan] Countdown to NaNoWriMo 2014

With NaNoWriMo just a month away, it's time I started getting back into the writing habit. The Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfic is still a work in progress, and (frustratingly) I still need to get episode 1 ready for posting, but it's time to start making plans for a NaNo project. Last year I used NaNo to work on the fanfic. This year, I had planned to work on an RPG project, but I feel I need to get back into the business of writing fiction so I'm going to try and tackle a fiction project instead. Not fanfiction this time, though. I may pull double duty, working on both my fanfic and an original fiction project for the month. As long as I write 50,000 words over November it still counts.

Anyway, I need to figure out what original project I'm going to work on for November. I did a quick brainstorm of existing ideas I've got on the backburner and came up with a half dozen potential projects off the top of my head. I know I've got more old ideas kicking around up there than that, but anything I didn't come up with in that initial brainstorm obviously isn't something I'm particularly excited about writing at the moment, so it can wait. So I'm going to pick something from those six ideas in the next day or so, and then get to work brainstorming and outlining for it, with the intent of having a roadmap prepared to get me through NaNoWriMo.

I'll have less time on my hands for writing than I've had the last few years, since I'm working now, but I think that's probably more of a boon than a curse. Having a limit on my available writing time will help keep me more focused on getting the work done during the time I do have. I've always felt that having a more fixed routine would help me be more productive as a writer, so I'll be putting that theory to the test over the next few months.

First thing's first, I need to pick one of these six ideas to work on. I'll do it randomly - either rolling a D6 or drawing titles out of a hat - and then I'll pick whichever option I wish had come up. Or some other method. One way or another, I'll aim to have picked my project for NaNo by the end of this week.

See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment