Sunday, November 30, 2014

[Weekly Geeky Report] Kindle e-books, nanogames and other stuff...

Swag
I used one of my Audible credits to buy Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, narrated by Kate Reading (one half of the Wheel Of Time narrator duo) and Wil Wheaton. It seems to be an alt-history, steampunk adventure story, so I'm looking forward to listening to it...whenever I get my other Audible books out of the way.
I also went ahead and bought the next three books in the Wheel of Time series with my remaining credits. At the rate I've been going though, I'll probably have finished them off by the end of December, if not before.

On Kindle, I bought Legion and The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson in a two-in-one edition. I had read the synopsis for Legion a while back (about a man who uses a unique form of multiple personality disorder to access a variety of different skill sets) and thought it sounded cool. The Emperor's Soul, I don't know much about, but I figure I'll give it a look if it's by Brandon Sanderson anyway. At some point I should get around to checking out Alloy of Law and his new Reckoners series, but not quite yet.

I ordered myself a 32Gb Micro SD card for my phone, since it keeps warning me that I'm running out of storage space. I'd had the same issue with my old phone, but I never got around to buying a bigger Micro SD card for it. Decided not to keep putting it off this time.

And finally, just this morning I bought The Sundered Land anthology of nanogames by Vincent Baker, because I heard about it on the Jank Cast and decided to give it a look.

Achievements Unlocked
Tuesday's session of Firefly was hailed by all of my players as the most enjoyable so far, despite it being another scenario I hastily cobbled together at the last minute. This time, the reason for the last minute prep was that I changed my planned scenario to make it a spotlight episode for Heather's character (since she's going to be leaving the game for a while) instead of the one I had planned for Honi's character. My only concern about the session was that Craig (as Captain Lorretto) didn't have much to do, even though Craig did make a conscious decision to step back and let the crew do their own thing. Next session won't be Honi's spotlight, since she might not be here, so I'll be doing something else for it.

After getting home from the Firefly game, Heather and I watched the latest episode of Agents of SHIELD over Skype. The second season continues to impress, and this was probably the most tightly-paced episode so far, setting up what looks to be an epic confrontation between SHIELD and Hydra in the mid-season finale. For those of you who were disappointed in the first half of SHIELD season one, I encourage you to pick up where you left off and stick with it. It really is worth persevering to get to all the awesome that comes later.

On Wednesday night, I decided that since I am still paying a monthly subscription to Netflix I should probably get back to using the service. So I sat down and started watching the second half of Warehouse 13, season four (in part because it turned out I unknowingly got the idea for this week's Firefly game from the show, which got me thinking about it again). As has become traditional with the show by this point, as one villain exits another quickly fills their place, though it's unclear at this point whether James Marsters' Count of St Germain or his wife are the real threat. Given that this is James Marsters we're talking about though, I'm gonna guess he's the Big Bad until proven wrong, since he does it so very well. More than any of the plot stuff that's going on in the show though, it's the characters' struggle to deal with the heartbreaking developments of the first half of the season that really kept me hooked.

On Thursday, I had the night off from work, so I had a bit of a anime/TV binge. First, I watched three more episodes of Cowboy Bebop and stopped just before episode 24. The movie takes place at some point roughly between episodes 22 and 23, but I reckon it could just as easily take place between 23 and 24 so I'll be watching that next. 

I then decided to make further use of my Netflix subscription and picked up where I left off with another series I hadn't seen in a while, Lost Girl. I'd watched the first season a couple years ago, but never got round to continuing it. I watched the first four episodes of season two and wondered why it took me this long to revisit the show. For those unfamiliar with the show, it follows a succubus who discovers she's one of the Fae and, after refusing to align herself with either the light or dark fae, finds herself working as a sort of freelance investigator for fae from both sides in need of help, with the help of her human best friend, Kenzi. 

It's pretty cool, and I'd recommend you give it a look if you like dark fairytales and urban fantasy. It does have a bit of paranormal romance to it (the main character is a succubus, after all), which nearly put me off giving the series a look, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared, so I recommend at least giving it a shot for a few episodes to decide if you like it or not.

I finished off A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan on Friday night, and while one plot thread was resolved, the quest that had carried over from the previous book was still unresolved (they found the plot device they were after, but haven't got around to using it yet) and the fate of one of the main characters was left uncertain. I know, I know...was I really expecting it to end with no loose ends remaining, since it's only book seven of fourteen? No, but I had hoped it would provide a comfortable stopping point. As I've probably mentioned already, books one through five were all fairly self-contained despite the over-arching plot tying them all together, but these last couple of books have been less so. So now I need to decide whether to take a break and listen to Elantris next as planned, or continue with the Wheel of Time series until I do reach a suitable stopping point.

Works In Progress
Having decided NaNoWriMo isn't working for me this year, I got back to work on editing the first episode of my Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfic.

Not much else to report, except that I'm stuck with prep for this week's Firefly scenario...again.

The Plan
I've set deadlines for finishing off the edit of the DW/Eva fanfic before, but I really want to get started posting the fic on Fanfiction.net soon. My hope is that I'll be able to finish writing an episode every month and post it weekly in four parts over the following month, but if I can't manage that, I hope at least to be halfway through my 'season' by the time next Christmas comes around, so I can write up and post a 'christmas special' to mark my mid-season point. But honestly, I'm not going to fret over how regularly I can post new chapters, I'm just going to focus on getting the chapters done and edited so that I can post them.

So the plan for the weekend ahead is to finish editing episode 1 and get it ready for posting by Saturday, and in the meantime I need to finish writing up the outline for episode 2 so I can get started writing it.

I don't want the fanfic to distract me from working on the Dream Detective story though. I'll be continuing development on that as I go, getting the worldbuilding and characters figured out a bit more so I can make a fresh start on writing it in the New Year. In the meantime, writing the fanfic should help me get back into the habit, and maybe I'll figure out what 'process' works for me while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment