Wednesday, November 26, 2014

[Weekly Geeky Report] Chuubo's, Tabletop, and other stuff...

Swag

I had seen mention of Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine on the RPGnet PbP forums a few times, and I finally got curious enough to download it from DrivethruRPG. Luckily, the download includes an e-Pub edition, which was easily converted to .mobi for reading on my Kindle, so I'll be more able to read it than I usually am when it comes to digital RPG books.

Achievements Unlocked

I finished the audiobook of Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan on Monday night, and I've already moved on to listening to the next book in the Wheel of Time series, A Crown of Swords. Without spoiling things for others who haven't finished the series, there was an interesting development with Egwene in the last book, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Hopefully, this book will leave things on less of a 'to be continued' note than the previous one, as I intend to take a break from The Wheel of Time to listen to Brandon Sanderson's Elantris after this. Of course, there's always a little bit of a 'To Be Continued' note to WoT, but up until Lord Of Chaos each book had its own internal plot arc that was resolved by the end, whereas a major plot thread from Lord Of Chaos has continued into A Crown Of Swords. I suspect this won't be the last time that happens either, as the series draws closer to its finale.

We had our third session of Firefly on Tuesday (I'll get round to posting the session recaps after NaNo is done with), and it got off to a bit of a rocky start. I tried to run the scenario from the corebook, What's Yours Is Mine, since I had been struggling with prep for the session. However, the crew rejected the mission, as it would require them to 'turn pirate', and that went against their morality, regardless of Marion Morrison's intentions. I had anticipated this, though, and had a rough idea for a backup plan based on a solo game of the Firefly board game I had done to help map out a potential flightpath for the campaign. So, the crew wound up taking on some passengers - terraforming workmen bound for Jubilee - one of whom turned out to be more trouble than he was worth, especially with an Alliance cruiser pulling them in for a customs inspection. The incident has also put them on Niska's radar, which I'll be sure to use in a future session.

After the session, we played a bit of Cards Against Humanity, and then I headed home, where I watched the new season premiere of Tabletop with Heather over Skype. Much like Takenoko, at first glance Tokaido did not really attract my interest as much as some of the other games that have featured on the show. That said, Takenoko did actually grow on me after a repeated viewing, and it is a pretty fun game (when I can find people to play with) so maybe Tokaido is a similar case.

Works In Progress

Continuing to struggle onwards with NaNoWriMo, but it is definitely a struggle at this stage. Something I have come to realise of late is that I am (or should be), to a certain extent, an outliner. I'm not terribly good at discovery writing/gardening/pantsing/etc. I need at least some form of plan worked out in advance, and I went into this month with nothing. Not even an idea what to write. The result has been a bit of a mess, and not even the 'beautiful mess' that Chris Baty has spoken of in the past. I'm going to continue writing and adding to my word count, but for the next week that writing will be dedicated to outlining and worldbuilding. Then, hopefully, by the time December starts I'll have enough of a roadmap to do a proper job of it.

2 comments:

  1. Please let me know how it works out in mobi; I need to go ahead and work on getting the book up in the Kindle store. (You may have better luck converting it to AZW3, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know, gonna start reading it on my daily commute once I'm finished with Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing.

    ReplyDelete