Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Geekolutions!

Happy New Year everybody! Last year, around this time, I posted a list of geeky stuff I wanted to get up to during the year ahead. So I figured I'd make a tradition out of it. Here's what I would like to accomplish in the year ahead:

1) Run a *World campaign.
Obviously I need to finish of my Firefly campaign first, but once I've done that I'd like to take a crack at running a campaign of Apocalypse World or one of its descendants. With the exception of one damp squib of an IRC campaign, I've mostly only run one-shots of Monster of the Week. So I'd like to try running a campaign of either MotW, Apocalypse World, or Dungeon World, maybe even Urban Shadows if it's out by then. Hell, I might even give Monsterhearts a go if I finally get around to picking it up.

2) Make some custom playsets/playbooks/etc for stuff.
This was one of my plans for last year that fell through, but it's still a thing I very much want to do. I've got one idea for a Fiasco playset, three ideas for Monster of the Week playbooks, and a couple ideas for a Technoir transmission, so I'll try and make some time to work on those this year.

3) Finish and post the first half (at least) of my Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfiction.
Another project carried over from last year. The first episode is pretty much done, I just need to finish editing it and then it'll be ready to put online. If I can manage it, I'd like to finish the first half of my 'season one' and get it online over the course of the year. I know it's doable, it's just a question of whether I can balance it alongside working on my own original projects.

4) Write a novel.
Last year I set myself the goal of 'finish a novel or two'. This year, I'm just going to aim to finish a novel. One novel. After that's done maybe I'll move straight on to another, but for now I'm just going to aim to complete one novel. Specifically, the first in my 'Dream Detective' series based on the flash fic I posted here a while back.

5) Play more games!
Not just board/card games, either. I want to play more roleplaying games this year, since I've spent more time running games in the past year and a half than I have playing them. Part of this will be joining a local RP campaign after the summer break, maybe even before then if possible.

6) Finish off the Wheel of Time series.
I've slowly been making my way through the series in audiobook format and I recently finished A Crown Of Swords, so I'm halfway through the series now. I'll definitely be able to finish the other half this year, possibly even within the next two or three months.

7) Finish off the Mass Effect trilogy.
Yeah, I still need to complete my playthrough of the series with my FemShep character. Since I barely started last time, I guess I'll just start with a fresh career profile for the new year.

8) Read more non-fiction.
Another holdover from last year. Books about writing don't count. I need to expand my mind and increase my knowledge base. For starters, I'm thinking if I want to write a novel focused on dreams, I need to read up on dream theory (Freud, Jung, etc). Beyond that, I'll keep an eye out for any non-fiction that looks interesting.

9) Catch up with the Sword & Laser book club.
I fell a bit behind with Sword & Laser last year because Altered Carbon took me a while to finish. I'll try and keep up with the picks for this year and make my way through the older picks in between each month's selected book.

10) Join a writing group.
One thing I know for sure is that I was a bit more active as a writer in university, when I had a writing group to check in with and share my work, even get some critiques for it. I haven't been in a writing group since then; at least, not one that met anywhere near as frequently or lasted for any length of time before folding. I know of one, maybe two groups in the local area, or maybe I can get some of the writers I already know together as a group. One way or another, it's something that should be a great help in increasing my productivity.

So that's what I've got planned for the year ahead, wish me luck!

Next up on the blog, I'll be posting the actual play reports from the season one finale of Tears of a Machine: Tales of the Arx Jericho, to get folks caught up before the new season starts this weekend. See you later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment