Wednesday, January 28, 2015

If I Could Play Monster Of The Week, I might play as...

The new edition of Monster of the Week, one of my favourite Powered by the Apocalypse games, is now available to buy from Evil Hat as of yesterday. So, of course, I've went ahead and bought the softcover plus PDF already.

In celebration of the revised edition release, I figure it's as good a time as any to start up one of the blog series I've been contemplating of late.

See, I really dig Apocalypse World and several of its hacks but I'm in the unfortunate position of being the only one (that I know of) in my local RP circle that does. Which means, I'm unlikely to get to actually play it except as MC/Keeper/etc. But I thought it'd be fun to share my ideas of what playbooks I'd play if given the opportunity, what interests me about them and how I'd approach them.

The Chosen: I'd be tempted by this one, but I'm not sure what I'd go with in terms of a concept. I don't want to make an actual Buffy expy. I'd be more interested in playing something more like Rand al Thor, whose prophesied fate marks him as both a saviour and destroyer. I like the idea of a chosen whose destiny doesn't look entirely heroic, with potential for darkness.

The Crooked: I used to be much more into playing shady characters than I have been of late, so I like the idea of playing a criminal turned monster hunter. I've done assassins in the past, so I'd probably try a different approach here. Maybe a burglar or pickpocket who was unwittingly working for a supernatural, either long-term or a one-time job that got ugly. Maybe even kept the artefact they were supposed to steal on that last job (I'd take the Artifact move to reflect that). One or two decent plot hooks in there already, not to mention past jobs coming back to haunt him/her.

The Divine: Because who doesn't love Castiel? Except I wouldn't play him like that. If I played as a proper Angel, I'd probably have mine be a bit more rebellious (tempted to name him Tabris, Angel of Self Determination). But I might go a different route and have my Divine character's origin be from some other faith. Maybe from Norse mythology; I could play as an exiled Loki, that'd be fun!

The Exile: 'Fish out of water' stories are always fun. I think I'd either play a highland warrior (thinking of Jamie McCrimmon or Duncan McLeod), or a Japanese samurai (inspired by Samanosuke from the Onimusha games, particularly Onimusha 3). Either one would be fun to play with in a modern setting.

The Mundane: I may have mentioned before, but I love underdogs, so the mortals among mainly supernatural teams tend to be my favourite characters. Xander from Buffy. Kenzi from Lost Girl. Murphy from Dresden Files (although she'd probably be more like a Professional). No ideas for an actual concept yet, might depend on what the rest of the group are doing with their characters.

The Spell Slinger: I've been watching NBC's Constantine and reading Hellblazer lately, so this is a given. The playbook is more geared towards a Harry Dresden type of wizard though, so the custom playbook The Hex might work better for a Constantine-style mage. Don't have a whole concept in mind, except maybe a grown-up and world weary version of Hermoine Granger.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know the Crooked's special abilities, but it sounded like the Kenzi playbook from the vague description I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yeah, fair point. I think both would fit for Kenzi, to be honest. Probably start her off as a Crooked and take moves from the Mundane as advances later on, or vice versa.

      Delete