Sunday, March 15, 2015

[Weekly Geeky Report] Fate/Core/Stay Night/Zero/etc

Swag
I said I'd curb my spending, but I ended up going ahead and buying the Alone In The Dark (2008) soundtrack off of Google Play using my phone top-up credit. I've been in the mood for urban fantasy lately and, if I ever get around to running Monsterhearts/Monster of the Week/Urban Shadows, the music from the 2008 version of Alone In The Dark will be good mood setting music for prep time, if not for running the actual game.
I also used up my Audible credits to buy The Alloy Of Law by Brandon Sanderson, Departure by A. G. Riddle, and The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu.

Achievements Unlocked
Finished off the Fate/Stay Night anime (the original, not Unlimited Blade Works) and it wasn't bad. A bit slow in the beginning, but a good watch once it got going. I'll admit I almost leaked from the eyes at the ending. Not a bad end, but not exactly a happy one, but it did feel like the right way to end the two lead characters' story.
The latest session of Firefly was a quieter one, after the crew (sans Captain Loretto) had rescued former ship's doctor Tammy (returning player Heather's character) from a spot of bother with some shadowy soldier types. They then set course to drop off the two kids from last session at the orphanage on Albion. Jesse was posed some hard questions by young Naomi (about what happened to her father) and orphanage owner Mick (about her life choices), then the local sheriff showed up looking for his daughter. Turns out she's been hanging out with one of the older boys at the orphanage, and it looks like they've run off to a young lover's hangout on a nearby island. Unfortunately, an Alliance loyalist gang hangs out on that island, and they don't much like Mick's 'browncoat brats' (despite the fact Mick doesn't discriminate about which side his orphans' parents fought on). We ended things with the crew heading out to the island to find the kids before there's trouble.

I finished The Path Of Daggers by Robert Jordan, and I knew when I reached the last four hours that it was going to end on a bit of a downer. I guess it had to, given that this is the latter half of the series and they have to start suffering some crushing blows to ramp up the tension a bit. I was sad to find that one of my favourite characters, who was left in dire circumstances at the end of the previous book, didn't make an appearance in this one, so his fate is still a mystery.

Having finished that, I started listening to Boneshaker by Cherie Priest under the mistaken impression that it might be a lighter toned book to recover from Path Of Daggers with. Yeah...not so much. Still, I am enjoying the story, though the male protagonist seems to be an utter tool so far. The female protagonist, his mother, is actually much more engaging and less infuriating.

I also finished reading through Fate Core, and you'll find my review of it in my previous post on the blog. I've started re-reading Apocalypse World so I can do a review of it in the near-future as well.

I'm still reading Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Session Prep, and finding a lot of good advice in it so far. I'll probably read it over again after I'm finished, just to cement the tips and techniques more firmly in my mind.

I started watching Fate/Zero on Friday night after work and I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely darker than Fate/Stay Night, which is probably one of the reasons I'm liking it more.

Works In Progress
Having picked up the campaign supplement for Kuro last week and skimmed over it, I've been feeling tempted to try my hand at a campaign of Kuro. I have an idea for an opening session (which I've mentioned on here before), but not where to go from there, so I've been trying to work out a plot to follow on from that. However, if I were to run a campaign I'd want my physical copy of the book back first, and I have no idea how long it'll be until I can get that back. Most likely, if I do decide to run it, I'll be running it as an online campaign, over G+ Hangouts or IRC.

Other than that, I've mostly been working on getting blog posts ready for each day of the week (minus Saturday) and haven't left much time for any other projects. I'll need to work on making time for other things in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment