Wednesday, April 22, 2015

[*World Wednesdays] If I Could Play Apocalypse World, I might play as a...

I still need to do a thorough readthrough of Apocalypse World and post a review of it, but in the meantime I thought I'd do another 'If I Could Play....' post and look at which Apocalypse World playbooks I'd consider if I got to play the game, and why.

The Angel: This is the healer/medic class for Apocalypse World. If I were playing him I know how I'd love to do it. You know Skye's dad from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? An affable fellow...until he gets angry, that is. Probably not the kind of guy you really want as your medic, but in the post-apocalyptic future, you make do with what you've got.

Battlebabe/Shieldbearer/Touchstone: Not really sure which playbook is the best fit for this, but I'd kinda like to play a character along the same lines as Kait from Freakangels. In the webcomic, Kait keeps the peace in post-apocalyptic Whitechapel, and has a love of 80's cop shows. She's a badass misanthrope who'll do what it takes to keep the peace, even if her comrades disapprove of her methods sometimes.

Brainer/Synthetic: One of my old characters from a freeform RP that spun off from the old EvaGeeks RP chatroom was essentially a hardholder with 'brainer' powers when it came to dealing with other cyborgs. He was your archetypal 'creepy/genius kid' who ran an underground refugee camp for cyborgs that escaped from the evil corporation in that setting. The specifics of his role would probably be very different in an AW campaign, but I'd love a chance to play this creepy, morally-ambiguous scheming teenager again.

Operator: Definitely would play this as a girl, riffing off of Nabiki Tendo from Ranma 1/2 again, except darker and edgier as you'd expect in a post-apocalyptic setting. Not sure if I'd play her as selfish as Nabiki is generally shown to be; it depends on what kind of mood I'm in when the game starts.

Quarantine: I like the whole 'fish out of water' character type, and if I were to play this character type I'd do so with an eye towards eventually graduating them to a Touchstone. I'd see them as a Dylan Hunt (Andromeda) kind of character, trying and probably failing to rebuild what has been lost from the Golden Age.

Savvyhead: I had an old engineer character from a Starblazer Adventures game that never got continued. Chief Cohen was a grumpy 30-something who got on better with machines than he did with people. I'd like to revisit that character in some form or other, and a Savvyhead would be one way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment