Sunday, May 3, 2015

[Weekly Geeky Report] Tabletop, Gurren Lagann, and other stuff...

Swag
My softcover copy of Primetime Adventures finally arrived on Thursday, despite the tracking information telling me that it hadn't met customs requirements and was being returned to the sender. Nice! Now all I need is a group to run it for. I'd hoped to run it for the Tears Of A Machine group as a follow-up game after our second season wrapped up, but Tales of the Arx Jericho is still on hiatus while Misha adjusts to his new circumstances. I could run a short season of PTA for my Firefly group, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for them.

Achievements Unlocked
As covered in my recent actual play post, on Tuesday I played a session of Fiasco using The Ice playset with the remaining members of the Firefly group who weren't buckling down to work on exam prep. Check out the post for more details.

I watched the Sheriff of Nottingham episode of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop on Thursday and the game looks like a lot of fun. Although, Wil Wheaton...spitting on the table? Ugh, shame on you! I'm all for a bit of roleplaying during tabletop board/card games, but there's such a thing as taking it too far. Anyway, Sheriff of Nottingham is definitely something I'd consider getting to play with friends. I've grown to enjoy bluffing/deception games over the past couple of years, ever since I started playing Coup and The Resistance, and Sheriff of Nottingham looks different enough from others I've played to make it worth checking out.

I also finished off Gurren Lagann and, while I really enjoyed the series, I have to say the shift in tone halfway through the series felt a bit jarring. The series goes from being mostly comedic with odd moments of drama, to nearly the exact opposite. It's not so much that I didn't enjoy the latter half of the show, but the shift in tone was pretty disorienting.

I'm about halfway through Odyssey: The Complete Game Master's Guide to Campaign Management, and I'm still finding it filled with a lot of valuable advice for handling campaigns. A lot of it is stuff that good GMs will be aware of on an instinctual level, but having them stated explicitly helps cement these aspects of GMing in your mind so that you can actively work on maintaining them and, in doing so, run a smoother campaign. There are also some tips and techniques that had never occurred to me personally before. I'm not finished the book yet, but it's definitely a great resource for newbie and experienced GMs alike; even veterans need a refresher course every now and then, right?

I'm just about finished listening to Crossroads of Twilight (book ten of The Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan and, if I'm being honest, I've been feeling a bit meh about this one. After the game-changing events of the previous book, it feels like this one is mostly filler; there's a definite build up towards the prophesied final battle between the Dragon Reborn and the Dark One, but nothing of great import along the way. I'll have finished the book during my shift by the time this post goes live, but I doubt much will happen in the last few hours to make it anything less than average - if that - compared to other books in the series.

Works In Progress
I'm working my way through editing the first episode of my Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfic. I'm going to go over it a couple of times during the coming week to weed out any minor errors like typos and continuity blips, then I'll see if I can get someone to beta read it before I post online.

At the same time, I'm going to need to work on the outline for the season as a whole. I have a rough idea of an arc for it, but I need to figure out the finer details. As part of my 'research' for the season outline, I'm going to read up on the canon Evangelion backstory regarding the Angels' origins, because that'll play an important role in the arc I have in mind for the fic.

Yeah, yeah, I know, why am I putting such effort into a fanfic instead of applying it to my own original fiction? I dunno, I guess I'm considering it a practice run, trying to figure out a writing process for myself that works. You'd think I'd have that down by now, huh? To be honest, my writing output hasn't been the same since I graduated university, and I can't explain why. It's weird.

Anyway, I'm gonna wrap up the post here before it descends into a full-on rant. Later folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment