Friday, August 7, 2015

RPGaDay 2015: Week 1

Returning to Google+ and other social media for a second year is the RPGaDay hashtag introduced by David F. Chapman, the designer of the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space RPG which I absolutely love. #RPGaDay is Chapman's way of getting folks to talk about the roleplaying hobby online, by posting the image below with a list of topics to post about over the course of the month of August.



I've already been posting my responses on Google+ for the past week, but since things have been quiet over here on the blog, and I want to get a start on fixing that, I thought I'd repost the last seven days' worth of posts on here. So, without further ado, here are my answers to the first week of prompts:

1. Forthcoming game you're most looking forward to
At the moment I'm looking forward to the Fantasy AGE Corebook. Besides Dungeon World, it looks like the most appealing Fantasy roleplaying alternative to D&D. The system (from what I've seen on Titansgrave and the Tabletop episode of Dragon Age) is light enough on crunch for my personal taste.

2. Kickstarted game most pleased you backed
Even though I haven't had a chance to play it yet, I'm very pleased with the final product of Primetime Adventures 3rd Edition. Not a lot has changed from 2nd edition, but the rules are much better presented and add a bit more structure to the running of the game.

I'm really looking forward to having the opportunity to run/play it.

3. Favourite new game of the last 12 months

Has to be Urban Shadows. Even though (same as PTA 3) I've yet to play it, just reading the PDF has me wishing for the opportunity to do so. It's got one of the most well-explained versions of the Powered by the Apocalypse system and play style that I've read. 

I love how the debt and corruption mechanics evoke the kind of urban fantasy stories it's built to emulate, and the game's start of session moves are designed to help players and the MC generate interesting conflicts and get the ball rolling right away. 

The player character archetypes are all pretty awesome too, I don't think there's a single one I wouldn't consider playing at some point. If I intended to run another campaign at GUGS this year (and, right now, I don't) I'd strongly consider running this.


4. Most surprising game
When I first got into the Powered by the Apocalypse system with Monster of the Week the game that started it all, Apocalypse World, was the one I was least interested in.

I wasn't very familiar with the post-apocalyptic genre, and the game's mature themes (particularly the presence of sex moves) were a little intimidating to me at the time.

Fast-forward to today: I've listened to various Apocalypse World APs, read and watched a few post-apocalyptic stories (not least of which being Mad Max: Fury Road) and grown more willing to push my comfort zones as a GM and player.

The end result of all that being that, rather than being the least interesting PbtA game to me, Apocalypse World is now the version I'm most interested in trying out (besides Urban Shadows, of course). Yet, sadly, it seems it's still the one I'm least likely to play or run anytime soon. Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

5. Most recent RPG purchase
My most recent RPG purchase is The Quiet Year by Avery McDaldno. It's really more of a world building game than a roleplaying game, but whatever.

I bought it because I wanted more GMless gaming options to fall back on during my break from running games, and it was also fairly cheap. 

I haven't played it yet, but I'll see if I can get a game in before the new semester starts.

6. Most recent RPG played
The most recent RPG I played as a player was an intro session of Lady Blackbird with the group I usually play Tears of a Machine with. I played Naomi and kicked off our escape from the Hand of Sorrow by literally breaking the cell I was sharing with Snargle.

Later, Snargle pulled off a Firefly-style bluff, threatening to eviscerate the hangar guards with a non-existent 'etheric accelerator cannon' unless they stood down. (Lady Blackbird backed his play with her blood magic by creating a lightning effect in front of the Owl.)

GMing also counts as playing though, so by that reasoning the most recent game I played was actually the season finale of my Camelot Trigger campaign at GUGS.

Having thwarted an attempted invasion of Avaluna Base by MerGN-A's forces, Lord Marr tracked down the T1000-like infiltrator droid and destroyed it with no small amount of difficulty.

Meanwhile, his ward M4-D06 and the edge knight L13T-KYN-35 exposed Marr's rival, Lord Vals as the orchestrator of the sabotage of M4-D06's armour among other things.

Vals was stripped of his lands and title, which were turned over to Marr as compensation. M4-D06 was appointed steward of Marr's new territory. In recognition of his services in the battle and his help in repairs to the city, L13T was officially knighted and given a place in the royal court's engineering corps. The end...for now.

7. Favourite free RPG
Fate Core is technically a free RPG, since the PDF is free to download from Evil Hat's website and the SRD is also freely available online. I admit I haven't done much with it beyond running my Camelot Trigger mini-campaign, but I do really like the system.

In it's basic form it's rules-light, it's extremely flexible and easy to hack - which makes it suitable for a variety of different genres - and the way the system works allows players and GMs to tie stories to the characters rather than the stories being something that just happens to take place around the characters. 

Due to my own inexperience with the system, I didn't make the best use of the PCs' aspects to build the story, but that's no fault of the game - purely my own - and it's not going to put me off running the system again and improving upon my mistakes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment