Sunday, January 3, 2016

[My Geeky Week] Firefight, Dungeon World and not much else...

Swag
Last Sunday I ordered a handmade leather journal to use as a fresh writing journal in the New Year.

Then, on New Year's Eve, I pre-ordered the Welcome to Night Vale Tarot Deck, and also ordered a copy of Greenlight from Drivethrucards.

Achievements Unlocked
This week, I listened to the audiobook of Firefight by Brandon Sanderson, the second book in the Reckoners trilogy.

While the first book reminded me a bit strongly of the first Mistborn novel, this one felt more its own story. The Reckoners get caught in a cat-and-mouse game with an Epic tied to their leader Prof's past, while protagonist David begins to question whether the way they've been doing things is truly right or not.

This book expanded on the Reckoners setting established by the first book. We get to explore Babylon Restored (formerly New York City) which is a very different place from Newcago, meet a new Reckoners crew, and a new group of Epics for them to face.

More important than the new stuff that's introduced is the development of the main character and a couple of the other major characters we already know. We see David's attitude towards Epics shift and the conflict it creates between him and the other Reckoners. We get more background on Prof and Tia. We even learn more about how the Epics' powers work and where they come from.

All of it builds towards a finale that is game-changing for the Reckoners in a couple of different ways, and has left me eagerly awaiting the release of the final book, Calamity, next month.

On New Year's Day I played in a game of Dungeon World run by Jason Cordova as part of the Gauntlet's Company of the Three Kings living campaign. I created a Fighter called Fiona the Volatile. (For those of you who've played The Red Dragon Inn board game, yeah I took the name and look for her from the character in that game.) The scenario was split into two parts over Friday and Saturday. Instead of going over the details of the adventure here, I'll post actual play reports of it on Monday and Tuesday. Suffice to say, I had a great time and - while I'm not normally available to play most weekends - I hope I'll be able to join in on further adventures with the Company.

Works In Progress
I'm still in a sort of hibernative state following the holiday period. I'll get back to work on my writing and my GM prep starting tomorrow. Not only have I got the continuation of Masks to prepare for, but I also need to re-read the Urban Shadows book and do a bit of research on London for the mini-campaign I'll be starting up for Gauntlet UK next Wednesday.

I don't have any concrete plans for what I'm going to work on writing-wise at the moment, other than the Doctor Who/Evangelion fanfic, but I've decided to commit at least an hour a day to writing something that isn't a blog post. Hopefully, a bit of freewriting every day will help me figure out a direction of some kind to take with my writing.

Blog-wise, other than the two-part actual play report for Dungeon World on Monday and Tuesday, I'm thinking of doing a 'Behind the Screen' planning post for Masks on Wednesday, and I wanted to do a post on 'Dealing with Canon in Roleplaying' for Thursday, since it's a subject I've been thinking about lately, now that I'm getting into the FFG Star Wars line of roleplaying games. I don't have anything planned for Friday yet, but I'll see what I can come up with between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment